Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Getting started...

If you're like me, you've probably experienced the frustration of starting what seemed like a great book only to find out that it contained some (or probably lots of) less-than-savory content. Maybe you've even given up on reading all together (like I have). That's why I started this blog - I just couldn't find any sites out there that reviewed the content of books that I actually might ever consider reading! Sure there are some clean read sites, but they only seemed to recommend either really cheesy, boring sounding books or the classics. Don't get me wrong - I love a good classic here and there, but 100,000 Leagues Under the Sea just doesn't cut it all the time. Sometimes I just want to curl up with a good NYT Bestseller - one that *won't* be a near occasion of sin! That shouldn't be so hard, right?

So I thought I would start a blog that reviewed real books - the popular books, or the books someone might actually want to read. I'm planning to review them based on five different criteria:

1. Violence - "Will this book give me nightmares?"
2. Sexual Content - (just fyi I will abandon the book at the slightest hint of this)
3. Language - this category doesn't bother me tons, but I know it might bother some of you, so it will be included
4. Treatment of moral dilemmas
5. Respect for the Church

I will rate each book in each of these categories on a color scale:

Pink
- means that there was no objectionable material and I would be comfortable lending this book to a little sister

Orange - means that there were a few moderately inappropriate situations, but not enough to prevent me from enjoying the book

Red
- means that the book was so heinously vulgar that I had to stop reading

I would also love recommendations from you guys about books that you really liked or books that you would like me to review - just leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment